HYALURONIC ACID INJECTIONS
What do hyaluronic acid injections treat? 1,7
HA injections are an attractive treatment option to address age-related changes in skin quality and appearance. Hyaluronic acid can be injected into our skin to fill and plump specific areas. Hyaluronic acid injections are applied to:
• Reduce wrinkles
• Model cheeks
• Correct facial lines and lip shape
• Lessen the appearance of sagging
• Reduce the appearance of depressions in the skin caused by acne scars or injury
• Improve elasticity and hydration of facial, hand, neck and neckline skin
How are hyaluronic acid injections performed?7
• After cleansing the injection site with an antibacterial agent, a topical anaesthetic may be used to prevent pain. In some cases, the HA dermal filler contains an anaesthetic.
• During the injection, small amounts of HA are injected into the superficial or deep layers of our skin.
• After the HA injection, the practitioner massages the treated areas to achieve an optimum distribution of the injected filler.
• The procedure usually lasts less than 30 minutes, depending on the area to be treated.
How often are hyaluronic acid injections needed?7,8
The effects of HA fillers last various lengths of time, depending on the type of the filler and the area where it is administered. However, as HA is eventually broken down and is absorbed by the body, the effects are not permanent. To achieve long-lasting results, injections should be repeated between 6 to 24 months.
What is the recovery time from a hyaluronic acid injection?7
Most people tolerate the injection without irritation or complications and do not require any recovery time. Immediately after treatment, the area may be red, swollen and bruised, but this subsides within a few days.
Did you know?
Compared to permanent injectable wrinkle fillers, the effect of all HA fillers are reversible and are naturally eliminated from our bodies over time.7,8
HYALURONIC ACID-BASED BEAUTY PRODUCTS
How does hyaluronic acid in cosmetic products benefit our skin?
The unique ability to hold so much water makes HA invaluable to our skin. Cosmetic products incorporate HA in order to make skin smoother, plumper, more even-toned and generally more refreshed looking.3
With age, the content of hyaluronic acid in our skin decreases, which contributes to the loss of moisture and elasticity in the skin and the development of wrinkles. This may be resolved by adding HA to cosmetic products. In these products, HA functions as a humectant, which means it draws water to our skin and increases the water content of the epidermis1,2
Hyaluronic acid’s unique moisturising and viscoelastic properties allow to soften our skin and restore its elasticity, thereby an anti-wrinkle effect is achieved.3
What are the benefits of hyaluronic acid-based products?
Besides providing intense hydration, plumping and firming our skin, HA-based products can also improve an uneven skin tone and help treat skin damaged by external factors, such as smoke and ultraviolet (UV) irradiation from the sun.3
This molecule also plays an important role in reducing oxidative damage to the skin due to both internal (the normal ageing process) and external factors.3,4
Furthermore, the newly designed formulations of cross-linked HA mentioned previously, offer noticeable improvements in skin lustre, tone, and texture when added to serums and creams.5,6